Gregory Smith Teen Killer Murders Grandparents

Spread the love
gregory smith photos

Gregory Smith would murder his great grandparents in Colorado when he was seventeen years old. According to court documents Gregory Smith had taken his great grandparents truck without permission and proceeded to wreck the vehicle when he reportedly fell asleep behind the wheels.

Instead of dealing with the consequences he decided to murder the elderly couple who were both in their eighties. Gregory Smith would sleep the elderly couple as they lay asleep in their beds. Gregory Smith would take photos of his great grandparents laying dead in their bed and would later show off the photos at school. Needless to say soon after he was arrested and would be convicted of both murders.This teen killer would be sentenced to life in prison with no parole until 2049

Gregory Smith 2021 Information

Gregory Smith Teen Killer Murders Grandparents 1
Hair Color:
Eye Color:BLUE
Height:6′ 00″
DOC Number:160258
Est. Parole
Eligibility Date:09/04/2048
Next Parole
Hearing Date:Sep 2049
This offender is scheduled on the Parole Board agenda for the month and year above. Please contact the facility case manager for the exact date.
Est. Mandatory
Release Date:
 Est. Sentence
Discharge Date:01/21/8888
Current Facility

Gregory Smith Other News

Gregory Smith casually pulled out a digital camera at Genoa-Hugo School one day and showed a classmate a picture of his great-grandmother dead in bed.

She was covered in blood.

Nearly two years later, Smith on Wednesday was sentenced to life in prison in connection to the murders of his great-grandparents, Charles and Laura Clagett, who were 80 and 82 respectively.

“Justice is served in Lincoln County today, because Gregory Smith has been held accountable for the brutal murder of his elderly relatives who cared and provided for him. Youth is no defense for homicidal acts of this kind,” 18th Judicial District Attorney George Brauchler said of the sentence.

At Smith’s sentencing hearing, prosecutor Jim Bartkus told the judge Smith had said he murdered his great-grandparents “just for the heck of it” and “to see if he could get away with it,” justifying a life sentence.

Smith had pleaded guilty to first-degree murder on Nov. 26, 2012.

He won’t be eligible for parole until 2050, said Lisa Pinto, spokeswoman for Brauchler.

Details of the case had been sealed by court order dating to the time of the murders in March 2011. The preliminary hearing was also closed.

At the request of Brauchler’s office, the arrest affidavit was unsealed Wednesday, revealing details about the murders.

On March 31, 2011, Colorado State Patrol Trooper Theodore Bandy responded to a rollover accident on County Road 2W west of Hugo. Smith had rolled his great-grandparents’ Ford pickup truck. Smith would later explain that he fell asleep at the wheel.

The truck was on its side and the front windshield was pressed against the dashboard. Between the windshield and the dash was wedged piles of cash in different denominations, a total of $12,000. Scattered about the cab was about $600 in coins.

Smith, who was injured and trapped in the truck, explained that his great-grandparents had gone to Blackhawk to gamble, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

On that same day, March 31, the high school principal called the sheriff’s office to report some issues with Smith. Lincoln County sheriff’s investigators would learn that on Monday, March 28, Smith bought his great-grandparents’ van to school.

It was after lunch. He showed off a wad of $1,200 in cash. He explained a classmate that he had just found his great-grandmother dead in bed, court records indicate.

The next day, March 29, to prove his story, he brought pictures of his dead great-grandparents to school. The student told Smith he needed to go to police but he said “no,” emphatically.

After Smith’s arrest on March 31, he was taken to Swedish Hospital in Englewood where authorities interviewed him.

He told them that on the evening of March 27 he was restless and couldn’t sleep. “I got a hinkling feeling on Sunday night.” They had been in “quarrels … all the bickering, all the fighting.” He also explained that his great-grandfather was in the beginning stages of Alzheimer’s and that his great-grandmother didn’t know what to do.

“Okay, well, easiest way is to take them two out of the picture,” he told the investigators. “No more stressed life on me, no more stressed life for them, I’d be perfectly fine.”

He started taking stock of where all the guns in the house were located: a .22-caliber hunting rifle was in the “dog’s room” and another in the basement on a rack made of deer hooves. At first he pulled a gun out of the utility room but it was too old. Then he got “my grandpa’s .410 he got for Christmas.” It wouldn’t squeak as much.

He shut the door so the dog wouldn’t get out of the house and then quietly walked through the house. At one point the furnace shut off and it was too quiet so he waited 20 minutes. He also “got smart” and put gloves on.

When the furnace came on again he creeped quietly to his great-grandparent’s room and used the shotgun to murder his great-grandparents, shooting in the general direction where his great-grandmother’s head was first and then at the general direction of where his great-grandfather’s head was.

He took money from a safe, packed clothes and a sleeping bag, and picked up a map of Afghanistan. He then put a large amount of dog food in a bucket for his puppy.

Smith was 17 at the time. He was charged as an adult.

Frequently Asked Questions

Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *