LaShanda Wilder Murders 8 Yr Old Son

LaShanda Wilder
LaShanda Wilder

LaShanda Wilder is an alleged killer from Ohio who has been charged with the murder of her eight year old son

According to police reports eight year old Martonio Wilder was reporting missing after his mother, LaShanda Wilder told a relative the little boy had run away. After an AMBER alert was issue and an intense search took place for Martonio Wilder police began to get suspicious on the way LaShanda was behaving.

Police in Columbus Ohio would issue a search warrant at LaShanda Wilder residence and in the attic would find the body of the eight year old with a deep slash to his neck and wrapped up in a trash bag

LaShanda Wilder would be arrested and charged with murder

Table of Contents

LaShanda Wilder News

Martonio Wilder’s favorite phrase was, “I love you.”

That’s what the 8-year-old’s family said Monday after a court appearance for Martonio’s mother, Lashanda Wilder, who is accused of killing the 8-year-old.

“I’m not sure I want to know the truth,” Wilder’s aunt Rachelle Knight said.

Martonio’s body was found Friday evening in the attic of a home in the 1000 block of Olmstead Avenue. An autopsy revealed he died from “deep neck compressions,” and court records say his body was found in a trash bag inside another container.

Franklin County Family Services also confirmed Monday that it has been working with Wilder and her family for at least two years.

Wilder, 32, and her partner, Johnna Lowe, 33, had called Columbus police on Friday morning to report Martonio missing. They said they had not seen the 8-year-old since the night before. Wilder is accused of killing the 8-year-old and hiding his body in the attic, while Lowe is charged with obstructing justice.

Wilder did not appear at the video hearing from the jail because the Franklin County sheriff’s office, which operates the jail, said she was “unruly.” A public defender waived Wilder’s appearance at the hearing, and Judge Gina Russo ordered her held on a $2 million bond in her absence.

Russo ordered Lowe held in jail on a $500,000 bond.

Columbus police received a call Friday afternoon from Wilder that her 8-year-old son, Martonio, was missing and had not been seen since the previous night, according to court records.

Officers began searching, using tools including drones and a helicopter, in an effort to find Martonio. Eventually, investigators brought in a cadaver dog trained to detect scents of human decomposition to aid in the search, court records say.

Police said Wilder became uncooperative, so they asked for permission to use the dog in the home. She and Lowe left the house along with two other children.

Police secured a search warrant, and a search of the home uncovered Martonio’s body in a trash bag and a “bivy cover” in the attic.

During the investigation, Wilder and Lowe did not return to the home and did not contact detectives or officers about their location.

Seia Glover, Martonio’s cousin, said the boy only wanted to be loved

“From the outside looking in, there’s a lot of questions about where his family was,” Glover said. “We were there, but we couldn’t be there all the time.”

Knight added that Franklin County Family services visited the home the day before the discovery of the boy’s remains in the attic, and Martonio wasn’t home.

Scott Varner, a spokesman for Franklin County Family Services, said he could not confirm Thursday’s visit, but said the agency and its caseworkers have been working with Wilder and her family since May 2022 providing services including case management, referral assistance and behavior health support through Nationwide Children’s Hospital.

The family members said they’ve learned things in the wake of Martonio’s death about how the children in the home were living, particularly Martonio.

“Some of the minor things that were red flags but didn’t really seem like they would lead to something like this of this magnitude, it caught us all off guard. She had support,” Glover said. “There’s no excuse for this boy to be dead. There’s no reason for him to be stuffed up in the attic like he didn’t matter.”

Glover spoke Monday about an incident she said occurred around Mother’s Day. She said she returned Wilder to the Olmstead Avenue home, and Martonio had jumped out a window. In retrospect, she wondered if he was trying to get away from something.

Knight said she continues to love Wilder, despite the “horrific mistake” she made, adding: “Her final judgment is never going to be here. It’s going to be with God.”

Police issued an Amber Alert was issued after detectives could not locate Wilder, Lowe or the other two children.

Those children, a 9-year-old and a 3-year-old, were found a short time later at the home of one of Lowe’s relatives.

Court records say Wilder and Lowe had their phones turned off.

Franklin County Family Services took custody of the two surviving children.

“We’ve been working with our partners in law enforcement and the courts to find the best temporary placement for the boys while this situation is investigated and resolved,” Varner said. “Their safety and well-being are our priority.”
How did Martonio Wilder die?

The Franklin County Coroner’s office performed an autopsy on Martonio.

Court records say the pathologist found “deep compression marks” on Martonio’s neck and ruled his death a homicide.

Wilder has been charged with murder.
Where were Lashanda Wilder and Johnna Lowe found?

Columbus police said that Wilder and Lowe surrendered to police around 5 p.m. Saturday.

Both were taken to the Franklin County jail. They are expected to have their first hearings on Monday where a bond will be set.

author avatar

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top