Stacey Tyler North Carolina Death Row

stacey tyler

Stacey Tyler was sentenced to death by the State of North Carolina for the murder of  Mary Jennings Fleetwood. According to court documents Stacey Tyler would physically abuse Mary Jennings Fleetwood for several months before her murder. On the night that she died Stacey Tyler would douse  Mary Jennings Fleetwood with gasoline and set her on fire causing her death. Stacey Tyler would be arrested, convicted and sentenced to death

North Carolina Death Row Inmate List

Stacey Tyler 2021 Information

Offender Number:0414853                                          
Inmate Status:ACTIVE
Probation/Parole/Post Release Status:INACTIVE
Ethnic Group:AFRICAN
Birth Date:09/23/1969
Current Location:CENTRAL PRISON

Stacey Tyler More News

he State’s evidence presented at trial tended to show the following facts and circumstances.   On numerous occasions, prior to and on 5 November 1993, defendant physically and emotionally abused and battered his girlfriend, Mary Jennings Fleetwood (Fleetwood).   Several witnesses testified that this abuse included defendant’s holding Fleetwood by the hair and hitting her in the face with his fist, throwing the full weight of his body on her, kicking her, yelling at her, calling her names, and threatening to kill her.   Approximately six months prior to Fleetwood’s death-causing injuries, Fleetwood threatened to call the police and have defendant removed from her home.   Defendant told Fleetwood that when she got ready “to go to work in the morning that she better take her clothes and take her children and that they better take their clothes, that he was going to burn the trailer down and said if they are in the trailer, he was going to burn their m—– f a-up in the trailer too.”   On 5 November 1993, defendant carried out his threat when he poured gasoline on Fleetwood, set her on fire with a match, and watched her burn.   Seventy-five percent of Fleetwood’s skin was burned off her body.   She was transported to a burn-trauma center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Norfolk, Virginia, where she died fifteen days later.

Defendant did not testify and did not present any evidence at trial.

The trial court denied defendant’s motion to dismiss made at the close of the State’s evidence.   The jury returned a verdict of guilty of first-degree murder.

author avatar

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top