Danny Frogge North Carolina Death Row
danny frogge

Danny Frogge was sentenced to death by the State of North Carolina for the murders of his father and stepmother. According to court documents Danny Frogge would stab to death his father and stepmother following an argument. Danny Frogge would be arrested, convicted and sentenced to death

North Carolina Death Row Inmate List

Danny Frogge 2021 Information

Offender Number:0137368                                          
Inmate Status:ACTIVE
Probation/Parole/Post Release Status:INACTIVE
Birth Date:06/26/1963
Current Location:CENTRAL PRISON

Danny Frogge More News

The State’s evidence at defendant’s second trial tended to show that defendant stabbed his father and bedridden stepmother to death.   At the time of the murders, defendant lived with his father and stepmother at their home in Winston-Salem.   Defendant’s father did not work, and his stepmother had been confined to her bed for over two years.   Defendant worked part-time and helped around the house, but paid no rent.

Between 4:00 and 4:30 a.m. on 5 November 1994, the Winston-Salem Police Department received a 911 call from a person who identified himself as Danny Frogge.   Frogge reported that his parents were dead.   When Winston-Salem police officers arrived at the scene, they found the bodies of Robert and Audrey Frogge in their bedroom.   Robert Frogge was found on the floor lying on his left side with bloodstains on his shirt and arms.   He had sustained ten stab wounds.   A leather wallet, containing his driver’s license and miscellaneous papers but no money, was found next to his body.   The wallet, which was lying open, had a drop and a smear of blood inside.   Near the wallet, a white, bloodstained sock was found.   An iron bar from a lawnmower was found under Robert Frogge’s body.   Audrey Frogge was found in her hospital-type bed with bloodstains on her chest and arms.   She had sustained eleven stab wounds to her chest.   In addition, she suffered defensive knife wounds to her hand.   A hospital-type rolling table stood beside the bed.   Dr. Patrick Lantz, a forensic pathologist, opined that the angle of the stab wounds indicated the person stabbing Audrey Frogge either stood at the edge of the bed beside the table or climbed on the bed itself to deliver the blows.

Outside the home near the back porch, the officers found a bloodstained butcher knife.   Just beyond the edge of the woods behind the house, the officers found men’s clothing, including a pair of blue work pants, a pink tee shirt with red stains, a pair of men’s underwear, and a white sock which contained bloodstains and blood spatter.   The white sock appeared to match the sock found near Robert Frogge’s body.   The officers also collected several pairs of white underwear and blue work pants from defendant’s bedroom which appeared similar to those found in the woods.

While talking further with the officers that night, defendant appeared calm and showed no signs of emotion.   In a statement to Winston-Salem Police Detective Sergeant Dennis Scales, defendant claimed that on the day of the murders he had been in and out of the house on numerous occasions taking care of his stepmother and preparing her supper.   After a night of drinking and crack cocaine use with friends, he returned to the home at approximately 4:00 a.m. and found his parents murdered.

The State also offered into evidence defendant’s testimony from the sentencing proceeding of his first trial.   This testimony included the following:  On the day of the murders, defendant worked around the house and later met with Earl Autrey, Audrey Frogge’s son-in-law, at approximately 2:00 p.m. The two began drinking.   Defendant went back to his parents’ home to prepare supper for his stepmother and later returned to Autrey’s home to continue drinking.   Subsequently, defendant returned to his parents’ home.   Defendant had consumed almost an entire pint of liquor and several beers.   Defendant’s father awoke from a nap between 8:00 and 8:30 p.m. and began to argue with defendant about his drinking.   Defendant could not recall what he said to his father;  however, his father became so upset that he took an iron bar from a lawnmower and jabbed and hit defendant four or five times.   Defendant got up, went to the kitchen, and retrieved a butcher knife.   He recalled stabbing his father three or four times while his father held the iron bar.   Defendant did not remember stabbing his stepmother, but admitted that he must have done it.   He then took approximately twenty-five or twenty-six dollars from his father’s wallet.   Defendant attempted to wash the blood from his hands.   He then changed clothes and threw the soiled clothes in the woods behind the house.   When asked how blood got inside his father’s wallet, defendant stated that he did not know, but admitted it might have dropped from his hand.   Defendant left and went to Kim Dunlap’s house.   He and Dunlap then rode with Dunlap’s sister to downtown Winston-Salem.   They used the money defendant had taken from his father’s wallet to purchase crack cocaine.   After smoking the crack, defendant and Dunlap returned to defendant’s parents’ home in a taxicab around 4:00 or 4:30 a.m. Defendant entered the house, but returned to the taxicab and said that his parents were dead.   He then called the police.

Defendant elected to testify on his own behalf at his second trial.   His testimony was similar to that given at his first sentencing proceeding.   He testified he served over four years in prison for a previous second-degree murder conviction and that he saved $8,000 to purchase a mobile home where he resided for six months after his release.   Thereafter he returned to live with his father and stepmother.   Defendant again admitted killing his father and stepmother and stated that after the murders, he changed his clothes and washed his hands.   His testimony differed somewhat in that defendant claimed he did not take the money from his father’s wallet until after he had washed his hands and was preparing to leave the house approximately thirty minutes after the murders.   Defendant again admitted purchasing crack cocaine with the money he took from his father’s wallet.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top