Michael Smith Oklahoma Death Row

michael smith

Michael Smith was sentenced to death by the State of Oklahoma for two murders. According to court documents Michael Smith would shoot and kill Janet Moore who was the mother of a man that Smith believed was a snitch. Michael Smith would then rob a store and would shoot and kill Sarath “Babu” Pullur then took money from the cash register before setting the store on fire. Michael Smith would be arrested, convicted and sentenced to death

Oklahoma Death Row Inmate List

Michael Smith Was Executed On April 4 2024

Michael Smith 2021 Information

Gender: Male

Race: Black

Height: 5 ft 10 in

Weight: 189 lbs

Hair Color: Black

Eye Color: Brown

Alias: Killa Hoover

Alias: H K. Smith

Alias: Locster Smith

Alias: Lonnell D. Smith

OK DOC#: 457856

Birth Date: 6/24/1982


Reception Date: 10/20/2003

Michael Smith More News

Petitioner Michael DeWayne Smith is a member of the Oak Grove Posse (OGP), a subset of the Crips gang that operates in Oklahoma City. In November 2000, Teron “T-Nok” Armstrong and two other members of the OGP attempted to rob Tran’s Food Mart in south Oklahoma City. The store owner shot and killed Mr. Armstrong. Mr. Smith was not involved in the robbery but had “close personal ties” to Mr. Armstrong. Smith v. State (Smith I), 157 P.3d 1155, 1161 (Okla. Crim. App. 2007).

The other two would-be robbers were later arrested and were set to be tried for the robbery in February 2002. Two days before the trial, Mr. Smith, armed with a .357 revolver, went to the apartment of Janet Moore. Believing Ms. Moore’s son was a police informant, Mr. Smith kicked in her door and confronted her. When she began to scream, Mr. Smith shot her to death. Before leaving, Mr. Smith wiped down the apartment to eliminate any fingerprint evidence.

Mr. Smith next went to the A-Z Mart, a convenience store “immediately next door” to Tran’s Food Mart—the site of the earlier failed robbery attempt. Id. at 1161. Mr. Smith “emptied two pistols into” the clerk on duty, Sarath Pulluru, took money from the register, and then used lighter fluid to set fires around the store. Id. He set fire to Mr. Pulluru’s body and “whatever he had touched in the A-Z Mart to destroy evidence.” Id. at 1162. Afterward he disposed of the clothes he had worn during the murders.

Mr. Smith returned home early the next morning and reported to his roommate that he had killed Janet Moore, had “done something else to ‘take care of business,’ ” and had “avenged his family.” Id. at 1161. A couple of hours later, Mr. Smith went to the home of Sheena Johnson. He told her that he had killed Ms. Moore because her son had been “snitching” and that he had “killed a person at a ‘chink’ store” because someone connected to the A-Z Mart “had been on television ‘dissing’ his set” in response to the earlier attempted robbery. Id. Ms. Johnson later reported this conversation to police, who had already taken Mr. Smith into custody on a different matter.

Three days after Mr. Smith was arrested, detectives interviewed him about the killings. He signed a written waiver of his Miranda rights 3 and agreed to talk to the detectives. After initially denying his involvement, Mr. Smith admitted to both murders, explaining that he “killed both victims in retaliation for wrongs done him or his family.” Id. He explained that he went to Ms. Moore’s apartment looking for her son but ended up killing her when she “panicked and started screaming.” Id. And he stated that he killed Mr. Pulluru “in retaliation against the store owner who shot Armstrong and in retaliation for disrespectful comments about Armstrong in the press attributed to someone from the A-Z Mart.” Id. He further admitted that he had disposed of the clothes he wore during the murders, wiped down Ms. Moore’s apartment to eliminate fingerprints, and set fires in the A-Z Mart to destroy evidence. Mr. Smith’s confession was videotaped.


author avatar

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top